[pct-l] Hands free Umbrella holder

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Mar 18 17:08:21 CDT 2010

On Mar 18, 2010, at 1:12 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> I purchased a Go Lite chrome dome umbrella, and I use hiking poles.
> Any
> ideas about the best way to manage both?

Hi Karen,
I attached my umbrella at 3 points to my pack: Top of my shoulder,
just below the sternum strap and at the waist.

I attached it using shock-cord and cord-locks which I had cut off
from something else. The elastic shock-cord loops were permanently
attached to the pack. I threaded the umbrella handle through the two
loops on my shoulder strap, cinched them down, then used the
umbrella's handle strap fir the third point, either tying extra waist
strapping to it or whatever else I could figure out.

Picture of me and umbrella:
http://tinyurl.com/ybt2skg
Close-up of my Osprey pack and the shock-cord loops:
http://tinyurl.com/ygq6gjn
Close-up of my G4 pack with the shock-cord loops:
http://tinyurl.com/ygj9z39

Diane

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight