[pct-l] Using a GPS

Eugene atetuna at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 17 13:44:05 CDT 2010

I just wanted to give a little update.

Using an 8 gig mini-SDHC memory card, I was able to upload the following
maps:
	Garmin Topo US (100k) -- everything from the eastern corner of CA to the
western tip of WA
	GPSfiledepot, California Topo Map (24k)
	GPSfiledepot, North West United States Map -- everything
	GPSfiledepot, Washington 24k Topo Map -- everything
	GPSfiledepot, Yosemite Topo Map -- everything

To do this, I had to install the beta version of Mapsource since the
production version kept crashing.  I would highlight the section of a map,
then use the dropdown in the upper left to pick a new map and I'd
highlight again, and repeat until I got all the maps I wanted.  This
resulted in 2.7 gigs of maps...you could probably go further and fit every
map available for the PCT on an 8 gig card.  It took a few hours, but it
successfully transferred to the memory card.  I think you have to do it
this way to get multiple maps on a Garmin, otherwise uploading a new map
will just overwrite the previous map.

Now I need to verify it works in my new gps. I'll post back for sure if I
have any problems.

Unfortunately I don't know of a good free topo map for Canada, so the maps
on the gps won't be 100%.

Eugene