[pct-l] Rescue in the Desert

Dan Africk danstheman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 17:12:25 CDT 2010

"The chopper circled over head and flew by several times but couldn't see us
and didn't know exactly where we were. We eventually caught their attention
but only after they almost ran out of fuel."

This is precisely what signal mirrors are for. The mirror on a sighting
compass works very well as an improvised signal mirror if you know how. If
you don't have that, almost anything shiny will work, such as the blade of a
knife, a metal cup, etc(people have even been rescued using the reflective
hologram on a Visa Card!), IF you know how. This is a simple skill that
every single backpacker should know about:
www.equipped.org/signal.htm#ReflectionsOfLight

Also, ditto what AsABat said.

P.S. - I intend this as a suggestion and constructive criticism. I strongly
hope this subject doesn't create a thread of repetitive, non-constructive
criticisms and judgments about what some may consider poor decisions that
lead to the rescue described in the original post. We all have made mistakes
and taken risks in the past, so as long as we're learning from them there's
no need to create a long, heated, back-and-forth discussion(as we have had
several of lately). Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I can see that
happening.

P.P.S. - If you want to bring a GPS, do so. If not, don't. Every major point
has been made. 'Nuff said.

--
www.hikefor.com/haiti-2010-Dan

--~--  www.HelpMeWeatherize.com  --~--