[pct-l] Using GPS

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Mon Mar 15 20:34:07 CDT 2010

 >>I'm not sure why battery powered technology gets questioned much more
> than
> lightweight backpack, or hitech trail runners.

Because batteries can go dead, especially when you need them most - wet and
cold weather.

I'm not against GPSrs, but I'm for having the knowledge to use a map and
compass in case the GPS doesn't work. Sadly, we have become so used to
technology doing everything for us that we have problems when technology
fails.

I've used GPS a couple times on the PCT, once in Landers Meadow (Piute
Mountain) just as a check on the trail as some in the group didn't believe
we were on course (we were). Then for a day north of Big Bear Lake in early
April when the trail was buried, more because by hiking partner that day
went off trail for a nature visit and I passed him (he didn't leave a sign
and after calling and blowing a whistle, I made concentric circles until I
found fresh prints. When they led the wrong way I figured I had to hustle to
the planned end point and used GPS to beeline over the trail. Turns out we
passed each other and after a couple hours he met me at the end point.

AsABat