[pct-l] Using GPS

Erik Turnberg erik.turnberg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 19:10:11 CDT 2010

Just to throw in my two cents on the GPS.  I don't think it's because we're
Geeks that we carry a GPS.  My partner (Terrapin Flyer) and I are carrying
one because it does help when you get to those snow covered, or unmarked
forks.  Ideally in those instances it saves hours or miles of hiking.  In
that way I really think it's like any of the other pieces of tech that we
all carry (Sil Nylon, Polycarbonate, titanium, aluminum alloy, graphite,
carbon fiber, LED, etc. etc.).

That being said, Terrapin and I wouldn't be carrying one if we weren't
hiking as a couple where one has the GPS and half mile's maps and the other
has the Atlas and a compass, so that the weight is spread out.

I'm not sure why battery powered technology gets questioned much more than
lightweight backpack, or hitech trail runners.  For us they all get put
through the does it save weight, does it let me hike better, safer, or
happier equation.

Granite

PS  While I also believe in bringing a map, and compass with a GPS I'm not
always sure about the arguments people through out about why it's necessary.
 My GPS seems more rugged than my compass if dropped.  Granted your GPS
could fail, batteries die, etc.  But, I have met plenty of hikers who lost a
compass or map and were having a hard time.  In the end something can always
go wrong with all of our gear, so we better have a plan for what to do when
any part of it breaks.