[pct-l] Using a GPS

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 15 18:27:17 CDT 2010

Elevator wrote:

In 2006 hiking northbound through the Sierra in early June, we encountered miles and miles of snow covered trail.  We really weren't concerned if we were spot on the trail.  When the trail is covered in snow, it really doesn't matter if you are spot on.  The map and compass provided you are familiar and comfortable with use provide what is needed.

I don't have personal experience with snow travel in the Sierra, but I'm going to guess that it's a fairly different experience than snow travel in the North Cascades.  With those huge tree-less slopes and wide-open vistas I can imagine that it's pretty simple to shoot compass bearings, triangulate your position, and pick a sighting target that you can walk toward for hours on end.

On the other hand, in the North Cascades you're quite often buried in trees and can't see any geographical features more than 100 yards away.  There's nothing to shoot bearings on and nothing to walk toward.  Not to mention that it's foggy and/or rainy half the time anyway.  You've got to be very patient, very lucky, or both, to navigate well under those conditions with a map and compass.  That's not to say it can't be done.  Of course it can and has been done.  But there are also lots of stories of failure under those conditions so if I were a south-bounder hitting the trail in June, you bet I'd have a GPS in my pack.  It would substantially up the odds of a smooth and enjoyable hike.

Eric