[pct-l] Supplies in the North Cascades,

linsey mowoggirl at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 12 23:03:16 CST 2010

PCT MOM wrote:

"I would like to hear from hikers who plan on hiking on the PCT in the North
Cascades. What supplies not usually found in a very small town would you
like to find a this trail angel stop ?? We usually try and keep some of the
odd "wants" for the crew coming through but usually end of missing something
important. Also, if there's something personal that we can have here
(besides your better half) if you call from Snoqualmie Pass (3 days prior)
we can make sure and have it here when you arrive."

Dear PCT MOM,

One item I think would go over great in the store across the highway from your Hiker Haven is Dri Ducks Raingear.  They are cheap, breathable (at least as much as anything else), light, not super durable, but work great in our Washington rain.  Okay, the pants are pretty fragile, but even distressed they provide some protection.  The jacket has a hood.  The two piece rain suit retails about $15 to $20 and comes in many sizes and colors; they run very large.  I believe Dri Ducks also makes ponchos.

Aqua Mira water treatment is hard to find, REI doesn't carry it, Feathered Friends in Seattle does.  It has a shelf life, but also the bottles also fail so it's good to keep old bottles/mixing cups.

Tyvek house wrap by the foot for those who, now in Washington, are longing for a bombproof groundsheet.  It seems attrition in WA goes way up after bouts of inclement weather...

Sincerely, Lollygag