[pct-l] VVR

Junaid Dawud jdawud at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 17:20:55 CST 2010

I've received several off list questions about my statement that i
felt resupplying at VVR was a mistake and that I felt the owner was
shady. I'll post my response to the list. Hopefully this won't ruffle
too many feathers, and I certainly invite the VVR folks to share their
side.

First off, the reason I felt vvr was a mistake for me is that I ended
up going to mono hotsprings on a lark. It was the 4th of July and we
thought the hotsprings would be nice. We got there in time to buy some
beer and relax in the hotsprings, it was awesome. We also found a free
camping area, met a really cool employee, swam in a small lake thats
fed by warm springs, and discovered that the general store had a PO. I
asked them if they would hold hiker packages, they said yes. There was
also a restaurant there. It was a cool place.

Then we had to bum a ride up to vvr to get our resupply packages. As I
recall there was a fee to pick it up. I had heard rumors that the
owner resold the contents of unclaimed resupply packages. When I
arrived, the items stocked on a few shelves indicated to me that this
was probably true. I also had a few interactions with the owner that
gave me a "shady" impression of the guy (sorry, I call em like I see
em). On the other hand the food was great (if you do go, eat pie) and
they do provide a service to the hikers that wouldn't want to detour
as far off trail as mono hotsprings.

So that's it, that's all, it's only worth my opinion.

Junaid