[pct-l] Resupply plan for review

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 10 01:00:45 CST 2010

JJ,

The plan looks fine. Here's a couple of thoughts:

Lake Isabella-This is my least favorite trail town, and unfortunately the one that I've taken the most zeros in- 5 in '06, 3 in '09. I don't wish to trash the whole town but I will trash one of its establishments. The Kern Motel, half a block from the Vons, is beyond bad. Roaches in the shower, rude owners, filthy, wont let you use the washer/dryer. On one night we accidentally spilled a chocolate shake on the bed sheet. The next evening we checked back into the motel to wait for medical results, the sheets had not been changed. It took ten minutes of arguing with the owner to get a different sheet. Two hikers tried to get refunds and were refused. I've stayed in some really sleazy motels over the years, none compared to this one. There is a less conveniently located motel on the other side of the highway that is much nicer and has a pool.
This year we will either ship food to Onyx or resupply at the store there. We will be taking a few zeros in KM anyways, I can wait.

Independence- You probably already know this but I'll throw it out there anyways. If your plan is to resupply and get right back on the trail you should ship a box here also. If you plan on zeroing, hop on the bus to Lone Pine and stay at the hostel or the Dow Villa. The mid-sized grocery store in Lone Pine is a much better resupply than the Shell station in Independence.

jason