[pct-l] Resupply plan for review

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Tue Mar 9 23:34:44 CST 2010

Jim:

By starting so early, you will be well ahead of "the herd" so you shouldn't have much competition from other hikers for desireable items. Still, you won't be alone either. Be flexible.

The selection is poor and quantities limited at the tiny store at Burney Falls State Park. I suggest you send a re-supply box to yourself at the store. You could detour into Burney itself, but I wouldn't recommend it unless the concessionaire's store has stopped holding packages.

Ditto at Echo Lake Resort. You'd be better off going into South Lake Tahoe for a zero day or two. The PO at ELR is tiny and has notoriously short hours and an attutude to match.

Where are you planning to buy at Sonora Pass? There is nothing there but a day use campground. It's a long hitch down to Kennedy Mdws (north) and even harder getting back.

Your four day walk from Ashland to Fish Lake might be faster than your package can travel. Be sure to use Priority or Express mail or be prepared to wait at Fish Lake. They did have a pretty nice restaurant when I was there many years ago, but the camping was terrible.

Search the archives regarding Packwood. At least one of the traditional hiker places there closed last year. You might be better off sending a re-supply box there.

Wandering Bob