[pct-l] Things I wish someone had told me before I started my thru-hike:

Julian Plamann julian at amity.be
Tue Mar 9 22:08:06 CST 2010

You're both right. I was exaggerating a bit when I said it's all about the
people. I began the trail because, more than anything, I love the
mountains/wilderness
and always have. I'm ecstatic about the idea of hiking the CDT even though I
know I'll likely see far fewer people on that trail.
I would do the PCT again in a heartbeat even if I knew there wouldn't be
anyone else out there.

Mostly, I was just trying to emphasize how completely unexpected the whole
trail camaraderie thing was for me. I think one of the most amazing aspects
of thru-hiking
is the experience of meeting a stranger and, sometimes within hours, feeling
like you've known them for years.

-julian