[pct-l] mistakes I made while hiking the PCT

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Tue Mar 9 12:58:45 CST 2010

I originally wrote this for Ned, but since it might be helpful to
prospective thrus with little or no long distance hiking experience,
such as myself in 2008, I'll pass it onto the list as well.

ned at mountaineducation.org wrote:

> Hey, Scott!
>
> Why was your '08 thru "unsuccessful?" (In the effort to help others
> have a safe time out there!)

In a nutshell, the three biggest problems were:

1) Inadequate pre-hike training.

2) inadequate foot care during the hike.

3) inability to remain adequately hydrated in the SoCal heat.

Judging by my condition when I arrived in Idyllwild, I would guess that
I was low on electrolytes as well.

If I were to try again (and I hope to some day) I would train harder
pre-hike, take better care of my feet, bring some sort of electrolyte
mix to put in my water, and find a more comfortable sleeping pad, even
if it meant carrying a little more weight.

I was already drinking 8 liters of water a day, so it is hard to imagine
carrying and drinking more water. I would drink one liter of water at
each water source, and carried 1 liter for every 3 miles to the next
reliable water source. I was well hydrated when I started the hike, but
arrived at Paradise cafe badly dehydrated.

I was too focused on making miles. I was determined to hike 20 miles a
day from the start, but was actually averaging 17. If I had been
shooting for 17 miles, with longer days when water sources required
them, I would have done better.

I was carrying a Gossamer Gear NightLight pad, which worked well, except
under my hip. I am a side sleeper, and the pad was not adequate under my
hip. Starting at Mount Laguna I was carrying 2 Z-Rest sections that I
found in a hiker box. I slid these under my hip for added padding, which
helped a lot, but I was still waking up several times a night needing to
roll over to take the pressure off of my hip. I was using my pack, and
whatever gear was in it, as a pillow. This worked well, and took enough
pressure off of my shoulder.

Foot care was something I did not start taking seriously until too late
into the hike. I took off my shoes and socks at the Third Gate in the
San Felipe hills and found my feet covered in blisters. I realized at
the same time that this was the first time I had removed my socks since
Mount Laguna. I took four days off in Warner Springs to allow my
blisters to heal, but it was not enough. After Warner Springs I stopped
every 2 hours to air out my feet and change my socks. I should have been
doing that from the very start.

My food was working well for me, but I was not out long enough to get
the usual hiker hunger. I was carrying 2 1/2 pounds of food per day
consisting of a variety of nuts, crackers, power bars, cookies, and
candy bars, with one home cooked, dehydrated and vacuum packed meal per
day. In the morning I loaded my pockets with food, and nibbled all day.
I was carrying Bear Valley bars, which I quickly grew tired of. The one
hot meal of the day was a little too large, and I had trouble choking it
all down. I'm sure that would have changed, had I stayed on the trail
much longer. I was trying to eat 5000 calories per day.

I had a late breakfast at Paradise Cafe. When I got up from the table,
my feet were so sore with blisters that I could barely hobble. I hitched
a ride into Idyllwild. I decided there that I could not continue. I was
spending as many days off the trail recovering from injuries (knee
problems and a swollen ankle, as well as blisters) as I was hiking. The
time spent off the trail was making forward progress too slow, and
costing too much money.

I don't do a lot of backpacking, but I do a fair amount of day hiking.
My body did not have any trouble hiking a 20 mile day. Three 20 mile
days back to back while sleeping on the ground, I was not prepared for.

My friends think it is funny when I tell them that I ONLY hiked 150
miles. I only had to do it 17 more times, and I would have been in
Manning Park. When you think of it that way, it really doesn't seem that
hard.

I hope this helps.