[pct-l] Things I wish someone had told me before I started my thru-hike:

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Mar 9 09:06:40 CST 2010

I've been in agreement with all of the things people have said in
this topic.

There's a saying about trekking in Nepal. You go to see the
mountains, but it's the people you never forget. That certainly
doesn't trivialize the breathtaking Himalaya. It just points out what
a surprise the people of that country are, how much they affect you.

It is a profound experience hiking the PCT to have so many total
strangers make such a positive impact on your life. Especially for
the younger people who have grown up in a world of Amber alerts and
being told never to speak to strangers and not even knowing their
neighbors or playing outside unsupervised by adults. To find out that
the world really isn't a dangerous place full of predators is an
incredible experience of freedom.

As Americans we are so well steeped in pushing ourselves and
achieving and trying to be great. The effort to walk border to border
is immense, physically and psychologically. But we all do this kind
of thing all the time. We strive. We're rugged individuals. There's
another world out there on the trail and some are going to find it to
have a very profound impact on their lives.

That I, too, found the hike to be all about the people doesn't negate
the fact that I also found the hike to be all about the wilderness,
and all about the solitude, and all about the effort and achievement,
and all about the food.

The only disagreement I have is that I'm glad nobody told me about
the people before I started my hike. It was a pleasant surprise.