[pct-l] Waterproof paper for printing maps

Kathi pogo at pctwalker.com
Fri Mar 5 10:00:03 CST 2010

I work with the printing industry and did a test with regular "coated"
paper ... it's not water proof it's just a light weight coated paper...
I had one of my vendors do some test samples for me on their Xerox color
printer (this is the high-end printing kind). I then soaked one of the
maps in water, crinkled it all up while wet, pulled it apart carefully,
got it wet again and then let it dry. At the end of the process I had a
wrinkly map but could read every part of it with no problem. If you use
a high end machine like that the toner (not ink) is literally fused on
the page and in the paper fibers. I believe Kinko's uses machines
similar to this. So if you look for a provider like this and have them
use a light weight coated paper you should be absolutely fine without
having to purchase the water proof paper. Have just one page printed and
test it. Ask for at least a 70-80lb C2S paper (the paper doesn't weigh
80lbs... don't worry!) "C2S" just mean coated on 2 sides. Side Note: You
should also be able to find a local printer who has this ability who is
WAY cheaper than Kinkos.

Kathi