[pct-l] The Great Underwear Debate

Caroline parablesfromthe_electrichorseman at yahoo.com.au
Thu Mar 4 19:38:00 CST 2010

Have you considered for feminine hygene actually stopping periods on the trail?  If your girlfriend is already on the pill she'd know it's pretty common for girls to skip one or two for important enough events. Plus from memory isn't there a pill available in the US that drops your periods back to one every three months safely? That could be another option.
The only thing with stopping them for that length of time with a normal pill is to check with a doctor first. I don't know the safety of it.
For me personally I'll be staying on my pill right thru (mine makes me REALLY sick if I have to stop and start so it's easier to carry and not deal with it) but I'm also in the rare category of not wanying kids so it doesn't matter to me if it does mess that part of my body up. But it also means as a vegetarian I have more iron in my blood than normal because I don't lose blood once every month (which is why I originally went on my pill). Just an option to consider.

With underwear, at most I'll be carrying two pairs. You really don't need much on trail. You can wash as you go and realistically undies don't take long to dry, no matter the material. I'll likely be taking lightweight wool undies. I tried the cotton undies with a liner in NZ and found chafing an issue but your choice and style is obviously a personal one. I'm undecided if I'll take one or two bras.

Damn female bodies, by default we have to carry more clothes than you men :P