[pct-l] Shaving on the trail

Dan Africk danstheman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 16:51:46 CST 2010

I was shaving this morning, with thoughts of the PCT wandering in and
out of my mind(as they often do of late), so naturally I started
wondering about shaving options on the trail. Of course many people
just grow a beard, but the thought of having a scruffy beard for 5
months isn't very appealing to me. My hair grows very fast, and when
it gets too long I find it very uncomfortable. I'm wondering what
other people, who did not want to grow a beard, have done in the past.

I considered buying disposable razors at resupply towns, but that only
works if your facial hair is pretty short, so I don't think that would
be a very good option. Trimming the hair with the scissors on my
multitool would take hours, and without the sharpening skills of a
ninja, my knife blade won't be nearly sharp enough. A straight razor
might work better, but sharpening it would still be an issue. What
other options are there? Finding a barber in large towns and getting
an old- fashioned shave? Sending my electric shaver in a bounce box
and only using it when I can't handle the scruffiness anymore?

I'd appreciate any thoughts, especially from people who have
thru-hiking experience. Thanks.