[pct-l] Sorta OT - Abby Sunderland's reality TV show

Ed Franqui eddyfca at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 13:10:57 CDT 2010

Thank you for getting more in depth about the TV deal, etc.  We see
headlines, or news organizations only go so far and it's gets frustrating
when you don't get the whole story, with all it's nuances.

My thought from the beginning is that I am very supportive of her attempt.
 This is not a kid that was just strapped to a boat and shoved off.  The is
an experienced sailor.  A sailor who made it over half way around the
planet.  When the sailor hit a strong storm, they weathered it.  When the
rigging broke, as what happens to many sailors, they followed the correct
procedures, didn't panic, and called for help.  Everyone is safe, but not by
luck, by preparation and skill.  I think this sailors handling in the most
severe conditions are a testament to their readiness, if she was not ready,
then she would have panicked and died, period.

As for technology allowing people to take greater risks than they otherwise
should, well duh.  We would have never ventured onto boats, cars, planes,
rockets, etc unless technology enabled it.  Is it safer to walk to the
store, or drive there?  Most of us drive.  What about the endless discussion
on this forum about UL hiking.  What risks do all of us take that we
wouldn't have otherwise.  Who carries their GPS, their cell phone, depends
on water caches, etc?  Technology is an enabler for us to reach for new
frontiers, it's how we got to the moon.  I use to find directions to places
I've never been before, it's how I make food in 60 seconds.  I don't think
it's derisive to say that this sailor used technology and otherwise would
never have attempted it, in fact it's hypocritical.

The age should only be factored in when assessing, on the whole, if the
sailor had the skills and the judgement to embark on this voyage.  When she
ran into some equipment failures a few months ago, she wisely called off the
quest to be the youngest soloist and got repairs.  VERY smart judgement, she
chose her safety over a record.  When the weather got rough and disabled her
boat, she handled it with as all sailors would do as I stated previously.
 Again, good skills and judgement.

So I say bravo.  I never had that kind of motivation at that age, but I love
that she did.