[pct-l] Sorta OT - Abby Sunderland's reality TV show

David Ellzey david at xpletive.com
Tue Jun 15 04:00:52 CDT 2010

Ken, et al,

I should clarify the question I was asking as I do not think I was all that clear. The question I was trying to ask was: do the people on this list believe that the Sunderland's were reckless in letting Abby attempt the excursion because of her age?

I know little of sailing beyond the basic theory so I cannot even begin to judge if she was competent enough or whether her boat was up to the task. I also do not know enough to judge to timing of her trip. All of these would certainly be valid criticisms from people who know such things. The thing that sparked my original post was that 90% of the comments on the news article were deriding her and the parents solely due to her age. Since I am doing more than a little research on the subject of "Nature Deficit Disorder" those comments really struck a chord with me.

Oh, on the other hand it just so happens I know a lot about the world of reality television. You should definitely NOT use sensationalist journalism for good information on this particular subject. The "reality" of the situation is that a no-name and likely shady production company approached the Sunderland's well into their preparations for her trip. Apparently the family isn't what most people would consider normal. Anyhow, there was no "pre-planned" show. Furthermore this production company (one I've never heard of) did not have a network deal, they were essentially hoping they could sell the concept. As I understand it, none of the networks even gave it consideration and the deal with the family has been more or less dead for a while now.

So again, setting aside that you (and likely many others with experience) believe she was not competent, the boat setup was not sufficient and the timing was all wrong. Do you also believe that her young age _alone_ should have kept her parents from letting her make the attempt?

BigToe