[pct-l] Backcountry snow levels

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Jun 7 14:39:05 CDT 2010

Just a note while we are waiting for a video gear shipment...

Please keep in mind that there is a lot of snow up there above 11,000 feet (as of 13 days ago when we dropped off Kearsarge), so it will not disappear completely right away even though it is hot in Independence or Lone Pine (the daytime temps are still only in the 50s with nighttime temps in the low 30s).

Plan for crusty snow in the mornings (good footwear), soft, near-postholing snow in the mid-day (gaitors are a must), and soup in the afternoon (snowshoes would be safer if you are still above snowline--saves the back from the jarring posts!).

We should be back up on-trail, going Kearsarge north to Bishop Pass by this weekend.

Just a note of In-Town encouragement:

The Winneduma Hotel (Bed & Breakfast) in Independence is a great place to stay while you are repacking, doing laundry, and needing to go to Bishop for a supermarket. Frank, the owner of the last four years, is very hiker-friendly and wants to do everything he can to facilitate your stay in town. He will:

pick you up and return you to the trailhead,
take you up the 45 miles to Bishop for food supplies,
has a computer terminal right in his lobby for hikers to use to communicate with friends and family,
you can cook your own food in his commercial kitchen and do your own laundry right there,
there is an "all-you-can-eat" breakfast every morning, and
they will even have a hot dinner waiting for you when you get in off the trail!!

All you need to do is pay for your historic room (and at very reasonable rates, as well)!

One great Hiker Base Camp!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd