[pct-l] Update from Castella

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 4 13:18:02 CDT 2010

No Trace understated the situation.  There are between 50-100 blowdowns per mile for about 12 miles (from a few miles south of I-5 to Squaw Valley).  We were hiking at about a 2 hours per mile pace in that section - good thing we were carrying extra water as we ended up camping several miles short of our goal).  It was some of the worst blowdowns we've seen - and we've seen a lot of blowdowns - largely because it went on so long and because the terrain is so steep the trees are very hard to get around. The soil is wet and soft too, with some snow under the worst messes.  We only ran into about two miles of snow in that section just south of Gerard Ridge Rd.   Don't know about the rest of Section O since we got off at Squaw Valley.  Bad knees don't handle that kind of gymnastics well.

Ginny