[pct-l] shoe sizing, cont.....

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Thu Jul 29 19:59:47 CDT 2010

A couple of comments:

When I first started hiking and backpacking I wore boots -- first pair were
Piveta Muir Trail (relatively light weight) and then later a different one.
My feet grew both longer and wider wearing the boots to the point that the
boots were uncomfortable.

The hiker I took from Scott Mountain Summit because of foot problems
(blisters) said he was wearing boots. He had on a new pair that he had not
broken in for lack of time, but the boots were the same make and model as
his previous boots that never gave him problems.

Fit may not be everything in boots and shoes for hiking, but it's very
important.

Tortoise

<> Because truth matters! <>

On 07/26/10 15:48, Yoshihiro Murakami wrote:
> Dear Ned
>
> This may be the same discussion carried out in Feb. 17.
> I also have no experience of feet enlargement. At first, I thought
> this phenomena can be observed among only PCT thru-hikers, but I think
> there is a latent variable.---shoes vs boots.
>
> Many people who asserts the feet enlargement wears shoes, but I and
> Ned wear boots, and report no enlargement. ( I am  60 years old, so
> very old guy ). My Japanese friend who hiked from Tuolumne to Yosemite
> reported feet enlargement and blisters and he wore shoes.  I wore
> heavy duty boots last summer, and I hiked thru JMT with no trouble.
>
> This summer,  I have selected ASOLO Expert GV GTX Mountaineering Boots
> and heavy duty pack( Mountain Hardwear Solitude, with heavy camera
> http://psycho01.edu.u-toyama.ac.jp/SolitudeNow.jpg ), because I must
> guide my wife from Tuolumne to VVR, and I must carry 14 days foods.
> (28-30 Kg : ca 60 pound )

[following material deleted]