[pct-l] shoe sizing - questions thereof

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Mon Jul 26 21:46:33 CDT 2010

To all those which replied - Eric, Chuck, Tortoise, Diane, Rick, Ned,
Yoshihiro, etc and for the quality of the content/replies: mil gracias,
domoo arigatoo gozaimasu and/or thank you!

For a couple of decades after having the foot put back together, and given
the 9 months, and series of casts + adjusting pressure screws, I was pretty
protective of that foot - as such walked mostly in mid-weight leather boots.
But in my warmup/training hikes of late, getting ready for a section hike in
a couple of weeks, which should be a trial run of a thru for next April...
it bacame clear that the boots, if possible, had to go. Given Yogi's notes,
and the feedback from my question...  I dropped some $'s on a pair of Nike's
this morning...  yes; a half size longer than my multi-decade long standard
10.5, and went with the EEEE width vs the std D, again the norm of multiple
decades. I had time to do a quick 3 miles this afternoon before dinner...
and I must say, the sensation of floating in them is different, but not
unpleasantly different. In the morning I'll do one of our local 8 mile
loops, with a good amount of up and down, before work and see how they do.
[One of the advantage of living 20 miles out of town: the trails start from
the front porch  :-) ] Early on I was very concerned about reshattering the
foot, but that has diminshed over the decades...  ie, these light runners, I
think they just might be appropriate.

Diane: w/re walking in sandals - given that I've lived in them for several
decades, other than snake questions, and burrs, I could easily imagine
hiking in them, easily.

Yoshihiro-san, Ned: I do appreciate the notion of fine fitting boots - they
were what allowed me to hike, return to my beloved backcountry while the
bones re-knitted. Though the way I found/made fine/custom fitting shoes was:
put them on, unlaced, find a garden hose, fill the shoes until overflowing,
then lace them tight and do 10 miles; repeat if necessary...  after a couple
times, they'd fit absolutely conformally. After which one would SnoSeal
them, so that they wouldn't be affected by water again, and they'd be good
to go for years.

Yoshihiro-san: would you believe the PCT is a warmup for Shikoku...   and
the 88 temples, while all dressed in white (a la henro)...  though I guess
it's now more popular to ride the bus btwn the temples than walk (very sad)
;-) but I'm old-school (as old as you), and will do it the old (honest) way.

again, many thanks to all,
TheDuck