[pct-l] info on Stehekin and Manning Park

Sean 'Miner' Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Mon Jul 26 15:55:52 CDT 2010

-how to take the bus to/from Stehekin.  Where is the best place to be picked up and dropped off?  There is only 1 place to get the bus into Stehekin;  At High Bridge next to the ranger station.  The schedule is posted at the trailhead sign along with its stops.  The bus always stops at the bakery for a few minutes to allow you to buy something going both ways.  The only stops you are interested in are the Ranch (place to eat and Stay if you like) or the Ferry Landing (place to eat and stay and has the PO and public laundry).

-Is there a place to shower in Stehekin that does not require spending the night?  I didn't notice one.  The single laundry machine was available to the public.

-Any lodging or camping available in Stehekin?  The Ranch halfway to Stehekin or the Lodge at the Ferry Landing.  There is a campground somewhere along the way as well as one near High Bridge by the trail.

-Where is the best grub (besides the Bakery) in Stehekin?  You can either stay at the Ranch and eat there or grab a bite at the resturant at the Ferry Landing in town.  I enoyed the fod at the Landing.  The store only had a few snacks and would be impossible to resupply at.

-And what days/hours is the bakery open (we hear it is a must go-to place!)?  As long as the bus is running, you can stop by.  Even if its late in the season when they reduce hours, they leave stuff in the Pavillion on the honor system (place your money in the coffee can).  It seemed to far to walk so stick to using the bus into or out of town to stop by.

-Is there lodging available at Manning Park?  If so, how much does it cost (approximately)?  Do you need reservations ahead of time?  There is a lodge and a hostel at Manning Park.  I think I remember the lodge (with a PCT hiker discount) being about $65 last year for the room.  I don't know what the Hostel charged though I had dinner a guy who stayed there.  Reservations only needed if its booked.  Most hikers I know had no problem getting a room.  You could always camp in woods.

Also, any word on when the Suiattle bridge is going in (besides Summer 2010)?  I know officially the new trail/bridge doesn't open this year, but I would much rather cross a bridge than butt-scoot across the log. :-)   I suspect if you arrive mid September or latter, most of the work will be done (just a guess based on how they did the other bridges in the area).

Good Luck and have fun.  I really enjoyed that park of Washington, even with the snow I had.

-Miner