[pct-l] shoe sizing - questions thereof

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Jul 25 15:42:02 CDT 2010

On Jul 25, 2010, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> shoe sizing - questions thereof

You've gotten good info so far. All I will add is that if you go with
Yogi's advice to get your shoes 1/2 to 1 size larger than you are
used to, you can always wear extra socks to take up the room if they
are too big. But if your feet enlarge and your shoes aren't big
enough, you can't take away anything from your feet. You'll have to
cut holes in the shoes.

My feet broadened out considerably from the PCT. Before the PCT I did
a lot of day hikes every weekend and a backpack once or twice a year.
I had to start purchasing bigger shoes as I progressed up the trail.
My women's 6.5 EEEE feet wore up to a men's size 10 shoe at one
point, and the last shoe I wore was a mens size 8 EEEE which was
maybe a touch too long but worked out great for width.

You could also consider hiking in sandals. I've been hiking in Chaco
sandals locally and I've been pretty surprised how comfortable it is.
I have not stubbed a toe yet and I hike on some very rocky trails
full of rolling, angular, potato-sized rocks.

Diane