[pct-l] Dogs an d the PCT

Steve McAllister brooklynkayak at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 19:59:56 CDT 2010

Regarding the heat and dogs hiking the PCT:

My old Mexican Hairless seemed to thrive on hot summer hikes, better than I did.
She also seemed to tolerate the cold. She would shiver on cold
mornings, but would keep her temperature up by compulsively running
when she was cold, often times in circles waiting for me.
She was a breed that seemed to tolerate temperature extremes better than most.
I would try to wrap her up when it was cold, but she would shake
herself free and just run around exploring, seemingly enjoying the
terrain and all the wonderful new smells.
She also seemed to sweat a lot in the heat, something dogs don't generally do.

She also  tolerated rough ground better than most dogs. Some dogs can
develop sores on their feet on long hikes.
Keep in mind that she was a very active dog that ran long distances
all year long in all conditions. I often bicycled long distances with
her running along side me much of the way, in rain, snow, hot summer
heat. It was common for her to run 20 miles on our weekend excursions.
I'll bet that conditioned her better than most dogs.

She lived to be 21 years old and very active most of her life

Most dog breeds aren't tolerant of heat and instinctively nap in the day.

My only suggestion is to shave your dog and have a coat available for
cold conditions.
Make sure your dog is in shape and has toughened feet before the hike.
Riding a bicycle, skates or roller blade with them running along many
times before a long hike should help.

Some dogs are better in different conditions. Conditioning will help
you determine that, or at least get them in shape for the situation.

stevie

--
The sooner all the animals are extinct, the sooner we'll find their money.
- Ed Bluestone