[pct-l] Trinity Alps Snow Conditions

mntmn4jesus at aol.com mntmn4jesus at aol.com
Fri Jul 9 23:40:47 CDT 2010

 I am no longer a virgin with regard to the PCT trail.  I walked 5 miles on it last weekend and climbed Mt. Eddy.  Just a word to the wise.  The Trinity Alps still had a lot of snow on the PCT trail.  I recommend adjustable poles and Khatoola microspikes for that area as well as any other over 7,000 feet.  There was still enough snow to ski from a 1/4 mile in from the Bunny Flat trail head (6,900) so there is still lots and lots of snow in the high country in many areas this years.

Here is the link to the microspikes if you are interested.  I wouldn't go anywhere where I would encounter intermittent snow conditions without them.  One man who stayed at the camp at Helen Lake used them solely for his ascent on Mt. Shasta.  Yet you can walk on bare ground without hurting them.  They are designed for runners so they can run at full stride on a course with snow and ice with total confidence of their footing.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&rlz=&q=kahtoola+microspikes&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=dfk3TNSeAZDEsAOGu5RS&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CFkQrQQwAg

Enjoy!!!
Jim