[pct-l] hiking SOBO from Castella

CClark dr_carolyn at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 2 13:32:33 CDT 2010

Hi "Elderly Ellen,"

You asked about "options" for the Castella area.We will be hiking NOBO from Castella in July, so we've looked into it a little.If you can catch an Amtrak train, get off in Dunsmuir (DUN).That's about five miles from Castella.

We had a hard time figuring out to get from the Amtrak station to the Castle Crags trailhead, because you either have to walk the RR tracks or the I-5 freeway.We opted for trying to find a ride instead.

Since the train arrives in the middle of the night, we didn't want to ask a Trail Angel.So we will try booking a room at Dunsmuir Lodge (they promised they would stay open late for us) and hitching a ride from there in the morning.The owners will even give us a ride if they aren't too busy in the morning.

Clipper and BoomDone