[pct-l] TP Study

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 29 14:06:41 CST 2010

I conducted the TP study to better understand how TP decomposes and to provide useful information to this list and to other hikers.  http://hikethru.com/hiking-information/backyard-science/toilet-paper-decomposition

I provide no opinion to this list on the right way to dispose of TP.  However there are some issues that warrant further review.

Carrying fecal matter is hazardous and must be treated very carefully.  For example humans who unknowingly contracted Giardia could be carrying millions to billions of Giardia cysts or eggs in their waste.  These cysts are not visible to the naked eye and can be transmitted to other hikers.  As little as 10 to 30 of these cysts can cause Giardia.

http://hikethru.com/hiking-information/water

A torn waste bag or a contaminated waste bag in a pack could cross contaminate food, clothes, pots etc.  This contamination could result in bacteria, or other pathogens to spread from hiker to hiker.  Carrying out toilet paper and fecal waste provides a potential threat to ones health and the health of others.  This threat of carrying out waste has to be weighed with the danger of leaving waste in the woods.

I believe this topic would be a great scientific research project.  Sadly, it falls outside the scope of my Backyard Science section.

Paul

P.S. If someone wants to fund this research project let me know.   I will be hiking the PCT in 2010 and would be happy to do the paper work.