[pct-l] TP decomposition - 3 P's

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Fri Jan 29 13:48:35 CST 2010

On Jan 29, 2010, at 2:26 PM, Ron Moak wrote:
> With respect to my background and reasoning process. It's derived from a
> Degree in Forest Management combined with working three years in a major
> sewage treatment plant. This provides a pretty good basis for understanding
> the forest ecology, forest by products (TP) and waste management.

I appreciate hearing from someone like yourself regarding this issue.

You are confirming my thoughts that human waste and TP do not pose an
environmental problem when widely dispersed in most ecosystems.  I
say most because in some places there might not be enough micro-organisms
to degrade the waste in a timely manner (alpine, desert, etc.).  Just my
amateur (but hopefully informed) opinion.

The real problem with burying waste and TP is in more heavily used areas.
Thus on the AT where there are lots of hikers and they all tend to gather
at shelters there is a real need for waste management beyond cat holes.

Similarly on the PCT I think it is a good idea to do your business away
from typical camping areas.  Call it stealth pooping to go along with
stealth camping.  Packing out your TP helps to be even more stealthy but
probably doesn't significantly change the environmental impact.

Gary Wright (Radar)