[pct-l] Trail tread conditions

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Jan 25 14:02:32 CST 2010

The vast majority of the time the trail is a smooth surface covered
in footprints with little trekking pole marks along the margins.

Sometimes you are asked to climb over/under trees.
Sometimes you will walk through clear-cuts that have grown back with
lots of brush obscuring the trail.
Sometimes the trail bed is very narrow and you have to walk one foot
directly in front of the other.
Sometimes the trail bed slopes to one side, often the same side for
10 miles in a row.
Sometimes there are tall, granite steps you must somehow step up.
Sometimes I swear the trail has been abandoned.
Sometimes there are swollen creeks to swim and ford, snow that
obscures the tread, road crossings you might get run over trying to
cross, burned forest where the trail is hard to see, forest that is
currently on fire, rocks, roots, re-routes, road-walks, dogs, bears,
lions, bobcats, people with firearms, people with axes...

I could go on but I think you get the idea. It's a trail. If a very
small section of gully is enough to make you reconsider, you're
probably not going to like it.