[pct-l] Cuben fiber tarp (tent?)

Sean 'Miner' Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Tue Jan 19 22:55:04 CST 2010

Well, the designer Joe at Z-Pack successfully used it for his CDT hike so if used right, it should work for the PCT as well.  As Joe has also hiked the PCT, email him and ask his opinion about using it there; though you'll need to remember he hiked both trails with packs that weighed only a few ounces so you need to consider his hiking style.

On the PCT, I used a small cuben-fiber tarp which doesn't have any obvious advantage over the new Z-Pack shelter and I was fine in what rain and snow I encountered (and yes I did have 4 days of snow at the very end).  The mesh might be an advantage to those turned off by the though of ants crawling around them and having more protection against mosquitos then my more minimalist approach to the issue.  It only needs 1 pole, so if you don't want to use 2 treking-poles, it would be a lighterweight only needing a single staff or just an uberlight carbon-fiber tent pole.  If I were to buy it, I'd probably dump the mesh and use my bivy sack with it since I often use the bivy sack even when I'm cowboy camping (which is most of the time).

-Sean "Miner" Nordeen