[pct-l] Maximum food & water at the same time?

Paul Mitchell bluebrain at bluebrain.ca
Tue Jan 19 22:34:49 CST 2010

> I don't think there's more than 5 or 6 days through the Sierra without
access to near-trail supplies ... Don't forget that by the time you get your
trail legs going, you will be able to hike well over 20 miles a day if you
desire.

My experience was that the high altitude in the Sierras slow almost all
hikers down right out of Kennedy Meadows.  Both times I've gone through I've
met numerous hikers who intended to hike through at the usual 20 miles per
day they had been doing so far and found 15 exhausting.  Plenty of people
down in Lone Pine recovering from dehydration and/or altitude sickness,
including fit young guys with plenty of trail miles under their belt.  The
first few days out of Kennedy Meadows aren't much different than the rest of
socal - they're dry and hot, but with the added stress of higher altitudes.
I think most hikers would be wise to plan to move slower through the
Sierras.  I personally felt pretty fit arriving at Kennedy Meadows but
struggled to exceed 15MPD through the Sierras.  I assumed I just wasn't very
tough, but was surprised to see so many others having the same experience.

P178