[pct-l] Manning by mid-September

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Tue Jan 19 15:22:56 CST 2010

Excellent advice, Steel-Eye!

Early season snow is "fluff" or "potato soup", depending on its moisture
content. In either case, it is Not the consolidated, able-to-walk-on, Spring
stuff hikers saw in May and June. It is exhausting to wallow through, will
get you wet and cold fast, and you will not be able to make a fraction of
the miles you may need to at the dramatic and desperate late end of your
epic adventure. As Steel-Eye cautioned, the days will be shorter, too, so
this is not the time to be caught along the narrow, exposed ridges of the
North Cascades.

To avoid such a sad ending to your hike, plan for realistically achievable
daily mileages (based on your personal pre-hike training trips) to get you
to your conquerors victory at Monument 78 by mid-September and don't blow
excess trail time that will throw you off schedule. Factor time for
resupplies, hitching, injury, weather, laundry, Plan B adjustments, and so
forth. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst. Put it in the schedule.

If you discover that you're hiking ahead of schedule, then take a day to do
whatever you want other than hiking, explore the side trail, fall asleep in
the high alpine meadow warm in the Spring sun, watch the den of marmots
emerge from their winter's sleep under the snow, go swimming (if the bugs
aren't too bad!), or catch up on your journal. Unless you're out there to
"go, go, go" every day, take a break now and again and enjoy where you're
at--you may not have the chance later.

So, dare to hike ahead of the "herd" and depart early. Give yourself more
time to hear, smell, see, and feel all the trail has to offer by going a bit
slower (some people can do this even at high speed--are you one?). If you
have the time and ability to lengthen your schedule, it will only increase
your experiences, memories, and skill levels (hiking in rain, snow, creek
crossings that will be there anyway, mud, and bugs, etc.).

Yes, as Steel-Eye said, "Do what you have to do to get there early to
mid-September,' but it needn't have to be, therefore, a mad rush, if you
give yourself more time and prepare for what you expect to encounter (trail
conditions and weather). Remember, I started March 14th (pct) and March 1st
(cdt) and didn't have a problem, only great memories (maybe a Plan B or two
along the way!). But find out what to expect and train for it--it will only
make you a more confident mountain traveler!

Only you can decide what you want to do, what you want to accomplish and get
out of your Hike-of-a-Lifetime. Take lots of long hikes in the worst of
conditions before hand to learn about yourself and your food, gear, schedule
desires, physical ability, and how you deal with loneliness, struggle,
isolated decision-making, and the like. Then work all this pre-experience
into your planning/preparation so your trip will be a success, safe, and a
happy one all the way to Manning by mid-September!

Mtnned
Mountain Education
South Lake Tahoe, Ca