[pct-l] Fw: [DCSAR] Interesting and ominous weather predication

Postholer public at postholer.com
Sat Jan 16 21:00:09 CST 2010

Yes, indeed! A major weather event is unfolding. The NWS is comparing the
the current weather pattern to 1995 and 1998.

The author has been a bit over dramatic. Some bones to pick:

> a 200+ kt jet is barreling towards...all riding this extremely
> powerful jet stream

That is a respectable jet stream, but not that unusual. It happens
occassionally during the winter months.

> since the 200kt jet at 200-300 mb will essentially run directly into
> the mountains at some point

I laughed out loud when I read that! 300mb is about 30,000 feet or where the
jet stream lives. 200mb is about 40,000, the edge of the troposphere. Unless
we're talking Mt Everest, I wouldn't sweat the jet stream. 300mb refers to
the barometric pressure at a given altitude. The smaller the number the
higher the altitude. I don't completely understand the dynamics, but I
believe the high winds in the Sierra are due to the pressure gradient, not
the jet stream.

-postholer

Trail Journals, Google Trail Maps, Forums: http://postholer.com
Pacific Crest Trail Photo Atlas: http://postholer.com/photoAtlas.php