[pct-l] Trekking poles

Deep Desert Expeditions mike at deepdesert.com
Fri Jan 15 09:15:29 CST 2010

I guess there's a hazard in everything, but I've held my poles this way for over a combined year worth of travel in some of the roughest terrain you'll ever encounter.  Sure every now and then a tip will wedge itself somewhere, but it's never caused me to fall or injure myself--nor have I witnessed that with anyone else.
I use the straps on my backpack most of the time too--except in a swift water crossing (of course you remove your hands from the straps in that situation).

Moab Mike