[pct-l] Trekking poles

Judy Gross heartfire at heartfiregowns.com
Fri Jan 15 07:45:41 CST 2010

I beg to differ about putting your hands through the wrist straps.  Until
they come out with a better 'quick release' strap, this is not really a good
idea.  One fall where the tip of the pole catches, a torn rotator cuff (you
shoulder joint is the weakest point) and you won't ever put your hands in
the straps again.  This is especially important during water crossings.  If
you fell in a creek and your pole jammed on a rock, it could easily turn
into a drowning.

Yes, it takes a little more effort to hold onto the poles, but I have
learned to hold them loosely, I don't have any hand cramping etc.  I love my
poles, and wouldn't think of hiking without them, but the straps can be very
dangerous.
Judy

Message: 3