[pct-l] Thru hiker questions, snow-related

patti kulesz peprmintpati88 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 14 22:58:04 CST 2010

Ken, micro spikes are awesome I loved mine and NO they are NOT required...just a safety thing incase u fall, never had to use my ice axe thank goodness but it all depends on the snow pack that year, so hold out until the end. Yes u'll need to mail stuff to urself and about 4-5 pairs of shoes will do depending on what kind and how fast u wear them out. I wouldn't buy ur extra shoes until u've done a few weeks on the trail first. I ended up changing shoes after two weeks b/c my favorite shoes I had been wearing for four years were too narrow for me after walking in the dessert for a few weeks. I just had the store send them to me. A16 in SD will send shoes to u, if they have them, shipping is free and u get a 10% discount so basically u don't have to pay tax on them. As far as costs go for hiking AFTER gear...that all depends on how much u party babe. Jack Shit did it this year for $1000.00! He made his own pack and tent, got food from the hiker boxes for
 resupply. U can also find almost brand new shoes and other stuff in those boxes once in awhile, which he did often too. For the same reason that I said about having to change my shoes...same thing happens with other people and other gear. As far as ur bag goes...20-25 is the average. Just depends on how cold u get. the lowest the temps got was about 20 degrees. Again depends on the weather that year. As for the neo air...I totally loved mine...most comfy pad I ever used, rolled up small and kept me waaaaay warmer than any other pad I used. I was actually freezing int the sierras until I got the neo air. Most of the people I talked had no issues with it gettin a hole or anything. Just make sure u use Tyvek under it and keep it away from the micro spikes....lol I wrapped mine in a pack towel just to be safe and then kept the towel under my torso area when I slept. the towel also saved me two bucks at Kennedy Meadows when I took a shower! Hope I answered
 all ur questions.

patti Sugar Moma PCT 09!
www.hikestrong2010.com hiking again in 2010 for cancer!