[pct-l] Water at Golden Oak Spring

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 14 11:31:53 CST 2010

MendoRider,

I have such vivid memories of my time at Willow Springs and unfortunately the situation was different in 2006. I thought that I might be confusing the names, so I looked it up on the water report. I found a note attached to the Willow listing that might help clear this up for us.

"...BLM installed faucet, but faucet didn't work in 2005 & 2006..."

I was dehydrated and exhausted when I reached this spring on my 06 section hike. It was around June 12th and I was hiking in the wake of the "herd". The Kelso cache had been sacked, bone dry. It was six long, dusty miles to Willow and I arrived after 9pm. I had passed several cows on the way down to the spring but I didn't care, I needed water, and soon. I've already described the cows standing in the green sludge of the pond. The faucet was indeed out of order and the spring was fenced in. I had to wade through shin deep muck to access a seep trickling under the fence. There was nowhere to camp that didn't have hoof prints and cow pies. The wind was pounding me with a constant 40 mph and I spent the night in a cluster of Joshua Trees that I had to crawl in and out of. This was by far the worst night that I've spent on the trail. Though there was that one night, in '09, on Fuller...well, that's another story.

Jason Moores
Jackass