[pct-l] Backpacking with a bunion info

Janet Grossman janetgr at cableone.net
Fri Jan 8 22:19:32 CST 2010

Mary,
I had 3 surgeries as a child to try to fix the one hammer toe (genetic) that was going to cause a bunion. Even though the 3rd surgery finally made the toe stay down, I still got a bunion despite never having worn high heels or pointy toes in my life. I chose the surgery, had it in January 2006 so I'd have over a full year to heal before my planned PCT thru-hike in 2007. I led my first (rather short & easy) post-surgery dayhike 8 weeks later, having seen my podiatrist the previous day and been cleared to do so. From there on I did increasingly longer and harder hikes until I started serious training for my thru. Although I dropped out at Big Bear due to incapacitating blisters all over both feet in '07, the former bunion was never a problem at all, and has not been for any of my section hikes since, though I continue to get (milder) blisters. It's now 4 years after surgery, I'm 52, and there's no sign of my bunion returning. Very occasionally I feel a slight twinge where the metal screws are in my foot, but nothing even close to discomfort, much less pain. I do wear orthotics and continue to experiment with different socks and shoes. I'm by no means trying to persuade you to do the surgery, but for me it was a good decision to have it and it really didn't interfere with my life too much. The biggest issue with the surgery was really that I couldn't walk to work for 3 or 4 weeks, had to borrow a car and drive the silly 2 miles each way.
Janet