[pct-l] Printing maps in color

Erik The Black erik at eriktheblack.com
Thu Jan 7 11:06:48 CST 2010

Printing maps in color is expensive any way you look at it.

In 2007 I printed maps for the whole PCT using inkjet paper and it sucked.
That is the main reason I decided to offer the PCT Atlas as a real book
instead of a digital download.

The problem with inkjet printers is that in order to avoid spending an arm
and a leg on ink cartridges you have to print at the "economy" or "fast"
setting which produces really faded, poor quality prints (which almost
defeats the purpose since you can barely see the contours and details).

If you bump it up to the regular quality setting full-color, full-coverage
maps starts to eat through ink like crazy and the price per page goes up
close to the cost of professional color laser printing.

The worst thing about inkjet prints is they tend to smudge and smear a lot
from moisture (like from fingerprints, raindrops, spilled cocoa, sweat,
etc.) and for some unexplained reason that always happens right in the spot
you need to see.

Color laser printing is a much better option. You don't have to print on any
special laminated or waterproof paper, because the way the toner works it is
pretty much waterproof even on regular paper. You can set a color laser
printed sheet in a sink and the ink won't smear... the paper will get
soaked, but it will dry off and everything will be fine.

I believe you can get 8.5x11 color laser prints at Kinkos for $1 apiece. But
that would still be $442 to print Halfmile's maps (yikes!)

If you have a use for a color laser printer outside of hiking you might
consider buying one, but if not that is probably not a good idea. Color
laser printers (especially the cheap ones) are kind of junk. They are big
and bulky compared to an inkjet, loud, waste energy and the toner cartridges
are very expensive (although you do get a lot of prints out of it, so if you
do a lot of color printing in your regular life it might be a good
investment). If you really need a color laser printer for something other
than printing PCT maps go for one in the $350 - $600 range.

Although I am completely biased (since I'm the author) I still think the
Pacific Crest Trail Atlas represents the best deal you can get for full
color maps for the entire PCT. It comes with full-color annotated topos,
elevation profiles, data book, town maps, overview maps, resupply and
maildrop information, brief route descriptions and hiker hotspots all in one
package for $199 (for the Complete 5-Volume Set).

http://www.blackwoodspress.com/pct/atlas/

Still expensive... but you don't have to deal with all the hassles of trying
to print it yourself (plus combining with pages from all the other guides).

If I had to choose a next best option, I guess I would just print Halfmile's
maps on inkjet paper (and try to take really good care of them on the trail)
and combine it with Yogi's Book and the Data Book. You might be able to do
that for around $125 if you buy the cheap ink cartridges online.

Happy trails,
Erik the Black

Maps & Ultralight Trail Guides - By Blackwoods Press
* Pacific Crest Trail Atlas 2nd Edition
http://www.blackwoodspress.com/pct/atlas/

* NEW! Pacific Crest Trail Wall Map
http://www.blackwoodspress.com/pct/map/

* John Muir Trail Atlas (Coming Spring '10)
http://www.blackwoodspress.com/jmt/atlas/

* FREE Ultralight Gear Planner Tool
http://www.blackwoodspress.com/bonuses/gearplanner.htm

.