[pct-l] recharging devices

Stephen Adams reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 6 20:05:37 CST 2010

That's not heavy for the serious photographer Tom.  But it certainly is, and will be a pain in the ass for the snap shooter tourist types.
when I'm on a mission my backcountry kit weighs in at 8 lbs.  That includes 6x9 medium format field camera, tripod, standard and wide angle lens, tripod, camera kit bag, and all filters, meter and accessories including one roll film back.  And I've been known to carry it over class two cols and passes on numerous occasions and up an d down some steep rough trail.  Not exactly pleasant, but if the focus of the trip is photography oriented, then that's the price one pays to get the images.  If I come away with one or two great shots in four days, and I may only shoot two or three a day, I'll be satisfied.  But I got to tell ya, it is an entirely feel without that rig on my back, and I enjoy the walking so much more when I just take a little PAS or my plastic Holga.  Big ass difference, and enables me to use one of my light packs.  So now I really think about what kind of trip I intend, is it worth it to take the big rig out, or just go light and easy and enjoy the walking and rambling in the backcountry without worrying about getting the million dollar shot, being in the right location for sunset and sunrise etc...  A friend of mine wont even go out because he worries about his batteries with his digital DSLR.  I don't have that problem with a 1950's manual camera, but it's worth thinking about maybe just using an ultra light PAS that uses easily                                                                                                              replaced AA batteries.  I'd think about it.  I might consider packing camera gear down the JMT for a couple weeks, but not if I were thru hiking or a big section of PCT.  I've learned that you can't eat the camera out of your pack and it just isn't worth carrying when I want to just walk walk walk...