[pct-l] Digital maps: iPhone

Denis Stanton denisstanton at mac.com
Tue Jan 5 18:27:30 CST 2010

Hi J J

Brief response.

I took an iPhone last year for my small section of the PCT - essentially the Rae Lakes Loop.

It was useful up to a point and I will definitely take one again on my next section.

I had an extra battery pack, which I consider essential.  I also had solar panels rigged as USB chargers.  In overcast conditions I'm not sure that these were very effective, but I will persevere.  The basic battery is not enough unless you are only using the iPhone to make phone calls when in range.

I used preloaded USGS maps.  On one specific occasion the iPhone app gave me my location, and more importantly, the correct direction to refind the PCT and saved me from a  difficult hike in the wrong direction.

I also carried the Tom Harrison Maps.

Denis