[pct-l] Digital maps: iPhone

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Tue Jan 5 14:24:27 CST 2010

"Good" or "bad" depends on your expectations.

It's about 5 ounces.  If you never turn it on, you carried 5 ounces.

If you didn't carry it, would would you be carrying instead?  A
novel?  A GPS?  A prepaid phone card?  it _can_ fill a number of
purposes and the criticality and expectations, combined with results,
determine the value judgement "good" or "bad".

I've been playing with mine as a possible replacement for GPS and
journal device.  I'm not sure how much I would rely on a GPS on the
trail FOR MYSELF (let's not get into the whole "you don't need a gps
for the PCT" thing again...) but it does have some significant
shortfalls there.

BillB