[pct-l] Evernew Titanium Stove System

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 10:19:24 CST 2010

I use esbit and my stove - made from aluminum - weighs less than 1 oz.
 It cost less than a dollar to make.  I've used it for about 1,600
miles of hiking and it's still running strong.  It consists of a
potstand that doubles as a windscreen, and a double-thick layer of
heavy duty aluminum foil to hold the esbit.  The
potstand-windscreen-stove is made of a band of aluminum about 2.5"
wide and roughly 8" long (I'm not sure of the exact thickness), with
holes punched along the top and bottom edges for air flow.

My spork weighs 8 grams.  I also have a titanium pot.  If I had bought
 The FireLite SUL-1100 Titanium Cookpot (3 oz with lid), then my
"kitchen" would weigh a total of 4 oz.  But since I have the heavier 4
oz version, my kitchen weighs a whopping 5 oz.

That puts my basepackweight at about 9 lbs - which is about as light
as I can get it for under $400, unless I go no-cook.

I wonder how much my stove/windscreen/cookpot would weigh if it were
made out of titanium.  0.5 oz?  That'd be freakin' sweet -  a cookpot
that weighs less than the fuel it takes to cook 1 meal.

I've heard of people converting fat beer cans into cookpots.  I don't
know how well that works, but that should be substantially lighter and
cheaper than anything titanium on the market.  Cheaper too.   I'll
have to look into it.

-Austin