[pct-l] Poncho/tarp

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Jan 1 19:25:44 CST 2010

I forgot to add an answer to your question about how to set up in the
rain.

I was surprised how protected it was under trees. I could set my pack
down against a tree trunk and put my tent up and get everything
inside fairly quickly. The protection from trees allowed me to keep
things relatively dry. I could even find protected camp spots where
rain was very minimal and the ground was dry. Not all the time, but
sometimes.

As for mice, they are generally not a problem. That seems to be an AT
shelter sort of thing. I experienced mice in the last big, dry, 35
mile waterless desert stretch (I should have noticed the droppings
before I set up--Hanta virus = bad) and a few days before the
Canadian border and that was it. I slept with my food or had it just
outside the door.