[pct-l] freezer bag cozy

shelly skye shelbel26 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 14:31:06 CST 2010

The shape of the cozy is the same shape as the freezer bag but a bit bigger to handle the food. One way to figure this out is to fill up a freezer bag with food and/or liquid and cut the material to fit. I use bubble wrap with the reflective material on it and seal the sides with either metal tape or duct tape. Other materials I've heard of people using are pot holders sewn together, fleece (or your head wear if you want to make it dual use) as well as the material used on the surface of ironing boards. It doesn't really matter what you use, it just needs to keep in some or most of the heat of the water while it does it's job.

BTW, there is link on the freezer bag website to some research on the properties of the plastics used in freezer bags and their leaching ability. I read it last year and while I don't remember the specifics it was enough for me to subdue my concerns about boiling water and freezer bags.