[pct-l] Sleeping Bag Advice for the Sierra

gwschenk at socal.rr.com gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Thu Feb 25 09:02:19 CST 2010

---- Jeremy Caves <jeremy.caves at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm hiking the PCT with two friends, and one of my friends is looking
> for a new sleeping bag.  I sleep very cold, so I generally carry a
> sleeping bag rated to a lower temperature than most people would carry.
> Thus, I thought I query this listserve to see what you guys thought was
> a good sleeping bag rating for the Sierras (we'll be there mid June into
> July).  Also, what are your thoughts on down vs. synthetic?  I've owned
> a down for a long-time now, so I'm not sure if synthetics are now as
> good (weight and temperature-wise) as down bags.

My girlfriend also sleeps very cold. (She used 4 sleeping bags one February might in Joshua Tree a couple of years back) We've both been using the REI Sub kilo the last couple of years. The women's version is +15, the men's +20.

We use them in the Sierra from June to October. She sleeps with most of her clothes on in hers, I generally don't even zip mine up until late September. They are fairly light and compressible and seem to be durable as well.

Prior to these bags I was using a North Face +32 bag, it was a little cool sleeping in early June and late September.

I don't feel there is a need for a synthetic bag in California. Maybe Washington.

Gary