[pct-l] Tyvek jumpsuits as rain gear?

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Feb 24 09:22:16 CST 2010

On Feb 24, 2010, at 6:30 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> My question is, has anyone here tried it? How did it work? How
> waterproof and breathable was it actually?
I bought one. I cut it in half to make jacket and pants and seam-
sealed it. Also put elastic in the arm cuffs.

I wore the pants once or twice. They will pill and fray quickly, but
they held up. It didn't rain much, however, instead turning into
snow, so I don't have much to report. They made a good layer to add
to keep warm. I don't think I have to take off my shoes, but I don't
wear big boots and I'm a woman.

I've worn the top half a few times. I wore it once running in the
rain. I got very sweaty inside but otherwise it seemed to not let
water come in through the fabric. The jacket half is quite large
around the waist so it doesn't stay on very well. Maybe some elastic
around the waist or something.

Anyway, the material is light and I think the lightness makes it seem
breathable, and it does keep water out. I have a rain cover for my
Vespa made of the same exact material and water does not go through.
Some people online swear by them. I don't think there exists rain
gear that will keep you dry. Anything that will keep you dry outside
will make you hot and dripping in sweat inside.

I ended up switching to silnylon rain chaps and an umbrella. Same
issues with the pants: sweaty inside, but more durable than tyvek. As
for the umbrella: no good in heavy brush.