[pct-l] Hammock for the 2010 Campaign

Geoff me8938 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 21 23:02:48 CST 2010

Greetings Mr. Switchback,

I am a long time lurker or this email list because I have not hiked any significant section of the PCT but I do have extensive experience with Hennessy Hammocks and camping. My eight year old daughter and I both love them and we will not go back to the ground unless absolutely necessary.

I encourage anyone considering camping with a hammock to have a look at http://www.hammockforums.net/. This is THE place to go for a conversations with a deranged bunch of hammock enthusiasts who will go out of their way to get you off the ground and back into the trees where we monkeys should be. Another excellent resources is http://www.tothewoods.net/.

Hammocks are exceedingly comfortable but they do come with a learning curve. Like every system, they have positives and negatives.

Positives:
1) Very comfortable.
2) No concerns about flooding. You can set up over a river and stay dry.
3) You can camp anywhere there are trees which is just about everywhere I've ever been. I've camped on the sides of hills that would have caused tent dwellers to slide to the bottom of the tent.
4) You can camp over rocks and twigs which would wreck your back or punch a hole in your ground sheet.
5) They are cool in the summer.
6) Usually they come with enclosed bug netting for a restful night's sleep.
7) They can be light, but realistically, they are not ultralight and will not compete with camping on the ground under a poncho.

Negatives:
1) They are cool in the winter, spring, and fall. This is actually pretty easily mitigated, but you have to research and experiment. There are several very good options which I'll mention below
2) They are single occupant only. You won't be hanging out with your friends in a rain storm. Think bivy in the air.
3) You need to practice hanging them safely. Not hard to do but not something you want to try after dark in a rainstorm for your first time.

Insulation is the most important consideration in a hammock. You'll need some kind of protection below about 70 degrees. The Hennessy Supershelter is a good choice. I have one and it works. I've converted to using down quilts: one suspended outside the hammock on the bottom and one inside. You crush the insulation in your sleeping bag when you lie on it anyway; placing the quilt outside prevents the loss of loft and you stay warmer and more comfortable. People also use pads inside the hammock but they are a bit trickier to deal with.

Hennessy makes a fine hammock but there are other cottage industries popping up which also make very nice hammocks and insulation systems.

If you are curious to see a hammock in action, you may find one of my trip reports at http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9793.

Most recently, I camped in 20 degree weather on the side of Mt. Ashland in in the snow. Great fun.

FreeTheWeasel

Once again, Switchback, is on the cutting edge of backpacking evolution.  I am now considering the Hennessy Camo Survivor Universal hammock for my trail adventures.  See www.hennessyhammock.com.

I want to get it with the insulation system, so I can use it in a big storm.  It will take some getting use to setting up and taking down, but should be easy after a few practice sessions.  I asked some PCT thru-hikers a few seasons ago how they liked their hammocks and they said they were fine.  You can use it on the ground too if needed.
Switchback the Trail Pirate