[pct-l] permit

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Sat Feb 20 13:36:32 CST 2010

As someone I respect pointed out to me (when I basically got spanked for
proposing the same concept), that's really not the right thing to do, even
though it technically can be accomplished. As a section hiker, I know all
too well the difficulties of identifying the correct agency, determining
what their permit policies are (sometimes there are none but you have to
find that out).  Then there's amount of time it takes to visit field offices
to pick up permits on their schedule, which takes away from your hiking
time. It's sorely tempting to shortcut that process, cheating the system.

For the agencies, that can throw off the numbers of people that they are
aware of as being on trail or in the backcountry. Detailed itineraries are
requested by the agencies for at least two reasons that I am aware of. One,
the trails in our national forests and parks are heavily used.  Quotas are
in place on many of them, and numbers are monitored. Secondly, they want to
know approximately how many people they have in what locations in the event
of any type of emergency. They will turn to their records to see where
people might possibly be in the backcountry. Sometimes they will isolate
their search down to a specific individual.

Abuses of the PCT thru-permit process could have an impact on the tremendous
gift we are given by it. The actions of a few, and sometimes just one, can
take away privileges for us all.

L-Rod